1 October 2015
Lebara® diversifies into entertainment with launch of multi-ethnic content service Lebara Play™ in Australia
- Tamil blockbuster movies and primetime TV shows to watch unlimited, anytime, anywhere
- 100% legal, free and premium, live and on demand content in HD/SD quality
Sydney (Australia), 1 October 2015 – Lebara®, the universal brand for the world’s migrant community, is bridging the content gap and expanding its new entertainment service into Australia. Lebara Play™ is a multi-ethnic entertainment service bringing together free and premium, fully licensed content in multiple languages in one place, without long-term commitments.
Tamil will be the first pack available on the Lebara Play platform, followed in the near term by other global content including Telugu, Hindi and Sinhalese. Viewers in Australia will be able to watch the biggest Tamil blockbusters within weeks of release, such as hit action-comedies ‘Maari’ and ‘Vaalu’, along with their favourite TV shows including the latest series of talent competition ‘Super Singer’ (Vijay Star TV), as well as primetime soaps ‘Deiva Magal’ and ‘Vani Rani’ (Sun TV).
All Lebara Play content is 100% legal and licensed, which not only produces a consistent and high-quality user experience, but also provides a legitimate alternative to counterfeit DVDs and illegal services, and sends out a strong anti-piracy message in support of the creative industries.
Mr Yoganathan Ratheesan, Chairman and CEO of Lebara Group, said, “Serving the migrant community is at the core of everything we do at Lebara. While the need to call loved ones is never far away, as new locations become home for our customers, different needs such as entertainment become more important. Lebara Play is an unrivalled service designed for an under-served community, and the launch proves that we’re delivering on our plans to disrupt the existing entertainment landscape and diversify our communications business.”
HD- and SD-quality content is available for streaming on mobile, computer and tablet, or via set-top box on a TV set. Programming combines the best live TV entertainment with free and premium video on demand (VoD) content. In Europe, Lebara Play already offers access to more than 150 top-rated television channels and over 5,000 popular movie titles for Tamil, Turkish, West African, Hindi, Bengali and Punjabi audiences. The service will continue to expand into new territories with a growing catalogue to include Romanian, Polish and North African content, offering in time 500 channels and 10,000 movies.
Aditya Thakur, CEO of Lebara Play, added, “Our Tamil pack has already proved a huge hit in Europe and Canada, and we’re sure that our new customers in Australia will be just as excited by our compelling offers. We’ve built relationships with some of the leading content companies worldwide, and in the coming months we’ll be announcing further deals to deliver customers even more of the TV and movies they love in their own language. Lebara Play provides a huge range of content – blending the best of video on demand movies and live TV programming – with a simple and intuitive user experience, at a competitive price.”
Further information on pricing and availability:
Here is further information on features and pricing:
- As with all Lebara products and services, Lebara Play has flexible payment options. Customers can pay online, via debit and credit card, or using Lebara vouchers. Voucher top-ups will be available at local retail outlets, payable with cash or card, in the coming months;
- Tamil subscription packages start from $19.90/month for web, tablet and smartphone.
- Subscribe today and enjoy 50% discount on your first month’s subscription;
- Prefer to watch on your TV screen? A year’s subscription priced at $249 delivers unlimited viewing of your Tamil subscription package and includes a set top box (available from selected retail stores) that can be connected to a standard TV;
- The Lebara Play app is available to download for free from Apple iTunes and Google Play for smartphones or tablets;
- Access on PC or Mac via lebara.com/play;
- Register a maximum of three devices to your Lebara Play account, and watch two simultaneously;
- Lebara Play’s platform has been developed in partnership with SPB TV, a leading global provider of end-to-end solutions for content services.
In February 2015, Lebara launched a messaging and calling app, Lebara Talk, expanding its low cost, convenient mobile services and introducing the brand to new markets across the globe. Lebara remains committed to meeting the needs of migrant communities and aims to become the brand of choice for one billion by 2020.